What to expect from your doctor
During your appointment, your doctor or mental health provider is likely to ask you several questions about your mood, thoughts and behavior, such as:
- When did you first notice symptoms?
- How is your daily life affected by your symptoms?
- What treatment, if any, have you had for mental illness?
- What have you tried on your own to feel better or control your symptoms?
- What things make you feel worse?
- Have family members or friends commented on your mood or behavior?
- Do you have blood relatives with a mental illness?
- What do you hope to gain from treatment?
- What medications or over-the-counter herbs and supplements do you take?
- Do you drink alcohol or use recreational drugs?
Credit to mayoclinic.org